Christmas beckons and you are now, most probably, all sorted on what you are going to cook over the coming days, well on Christmas day at least. I don’t know about you but I find the week between Christmas and New Year is filled with feasting and if you have family or friends stopping by you want no fuss food that tastes divine with minimum preparation effort.
This is where my sautéed chicken livers come in. They are so darn tasty and can be rustled up in 10 minutes. Seriously folks, 10 minutes and you have a perfect appetiser or relaxed lunch. If you have a mental block over chicken livers I urge you to put it to side this once and dive right in. Sauteed in Madeira and capers these chicken livers are totally transformed and I love the flavours coming from the crunchy red onions and fresh flat leaf parsley. Served on toasted sourdough and you have yourself a real treat.
If, like me, you adore chicken livers then do try my chicken liver curry here.
I’m going to be checking out now until mid January, but you can find me on Instagram and twitter as I work my way around Kerala in Southern India. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year full of festive cheer, merriment and of course feasting.
I’ll be back in 2016 with lots of Keralan treats to share with you.
Sauteed Chicken Livers with Madeira, Capers, Parsley and Red Onions on Toasted Sourdough
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 banana shallot, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
400g chicken livers
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp Madeira or Sherry
2 tbsp capers
1 red onion finely sliced
a generous handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
4 this slices of sourdough bread, toasted under the grill on both sides
- Turn on the grill so that it is ready to toast your sourdough bread in a few minutes.
- In a frying pan heat the oil and then add the diced shallot and garlic.
- After 3 minutes add the chicken livers and a little salt and pepper and let them brown in colour. Gently turn them over so that they heat through evenly. This will take around 6 minutes.
- Whilst the livers are browning, slice the red onion and remove the leaves of the flat leaf parsley. Place to one side.
- Place the sourdough bread on a baking tray and lightly sprinkle with a little extra virgin olive oil. Grill it so that it is lightly bronzed on both sides. It happens quickly so keep an eye on it.
- Add the Madeira and capers and gently moved around the pan. Turn the heat down and simmer for a further couple of minutes.
- To plate up cut the toasted sourdough in half and lay evenly on a serving plate. Sprinkle with a few red onions and parsley. Lay the chicken livers and capers over the toast and then scatter with a little more red onions and parsley.
Eat immediately so that it is still hot.