After the excessive eating around Easter time, which always happens when my family gets together for a few days, it was time to detox a little and by that I mean eat vegetable-only lunch and suppers. If you are a vegetarian, eating and cooking Indian food holds so many delicious possibilities, in fact it would be really easy to be a vegetarian in India as all the vegetable dishes taste so good and in many cases better than their meat and fish counterparts. Anyway after a few days of worthiness we did cook one dish, or perhaps I should call it a snack, that was perhaps a little less healthy – as they are fried – but are very addictive.
They are incredibly moorish and the perfect accompaniment when eating rice/chapati and dal. The trick is to eat them within a couple of minutes of being cooked as they are not as tasty once they become cold. When eating Indian food with my family at home I tend to eat with my right hand – why? – well I find the food actually tastes better, although be careful not to over eat as it is easy to eat more this way ;o). Eating a thicker dal (not the overly soupy kind) and chapati with these fried spiced aubergines is one of lives pleasures. Have a go and you’ll know what I mean. They may not be pretty but they do taste rather good.
To cook these little beauties follow these simple instructions:
Fried Indian Spiced Aubergines
4-6 people depending on the size of your aubergine
100g chickpea/gram flour
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp poppy seeds/sesame seeds
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. To make the batter mix the flour and water together. You want to get the right consistency – not too watery and not too thick so add a little more water/flour as you see fit.
2. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, poppy seeds/sesame seeds and salt and mix into the batter.
3. Slice the aubergine into thin circles – approximately 1cm in diameter. If they are too thick they will not cook through properly.
4. Place the aubergine slices into the batter, a few at a time.
5. Add the vegetable oil to the frying pan on a medium heat. When it is hot add a few of the aubergine slices. Fry on both sides for around 3 minutes per side.
6. Once bronzed place carefully on some kitchen roll and serve immediately with more salt as required.