How have you all been? I hope you all enjoyed the bank holiday – for those of us based in the UK we were blessed with three days of brilliant sunshine. I’m aware I have not posted an Indian recipe for a while so I hope that this one will greatly please you.
If your spice cupboard is fairly limited and you want a quick but satisfying curry, then this mild cod curry definitely ticks the box. It’s a crowd pleaser for the whole family as it is only delicately spiced and the one fresh chilli that I do add, I make sure it does not go onto the plate of any unsuspecting guest or family member. I adore purchasing fresh curry leaves from my friends down in Tooting, but I find that they freeze really well, so I always have a good supply ready to use. If finding fresh is tricky, then dried will be a good stand-in, although fresh is ideal.
Mild Indian Cod Curry
2 tbsp oil
10 fresh curry leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
1 thin green chilli, stalk removed
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 heaped tsp ginger paste
1 heaped tsp garlic paste
3 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1 heaped tsp of tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1x400g can of coconut milk
1 large cod fillet, skinned and cubed
- Add the oil in a large non stick wide pan and when it is hot add the curry leaves, cumin seeds and turmeric powder. Move around the pan for 20 seconds before adding the onion.
- Gently cook away for 6 minutes before adding the garlic and ginger past. Cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and sugar and simmer gently for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for a few minutes before adding the cod pieces.
- Continue to simmer for up to five minutes with a lid on the pan, stirring gently once or twice. You do not want to break up the cod pieces so be careful. Take off the heat to rest.
Serve with rice or paratha and some fresh lemon on the side. If you want some accompanying greens this recipe is great and super quick.
2 thoughts on “Mild Indian Cod Curry for the Whole Family”