As we have been treated to some bright sunny days recently I thought that it would be super helpful to share some tasty and easy ‘salads’ over the coming weeks so that you can be ready for when the sun shines and you want to throw open the back door and eat ‘al fresco’. I like interesting combinations that work and I think this one will tick that box in spades.
Spiced Chickpea and Pineapple Salad
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 stems of curry leaves, leaves removed and finely sliced
1 large whole pineapple, skin removed and cut into small bite sized cubes
2x400g tins/jars of chickpeas, strained
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
2 limes, zest and juice
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
generous pinch of chaat masala
handful of fresh coriander to scatter on top
- Place the fresh coconut in the freezer for 30-60 minutes before using. Reason for this is that the outer shell comes away easier if it has been placed somewhere cold. To remove the outer shell use a rolling pin and bash the shell and it will crack allowing the outer shell to be removed. It will then be far easier to grate.
- Prepare the pineapple into bite sized cubes and place to one side.
- In a large wide pan heat the oil on a medium heat and then add the black mustard seeds. They will begin to fizzle almost immediately.
- Add the chilli flakes and the finely sliced curry leaves. They will begin to splutter so you may need to remove it from the heat for a second.
- Move around the pan and then add the pineapple, chickpeas and salt and cover in the mustard seeds, curry leaves and chilli flakes.
- Pour into a large serving platter and sprinkle with the grated coconut, lime zest and juice and chaat masala.
- Before serving scatter with some fresh coriander.
I accompanied it with my Bang Bang Chicken Salad which you can find here.